This fabulous Asian style side dish is an intriguing blend of sweet, spicy and tangy. This dish works especially good because an eggplant soaks up the flavors of sauces, oil and spices. If you have a great sauce or marinade you want to really show off, eggplant is an ideal choice. You may want to offer it as a vegetarian entree with steamed rice.
- big Chinese eggplants - 2, ends trimmed
- sunflower oil - 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon
- garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- oyster sauce - 1 1/2 tablespoons
- sweet chili sauce - 1 tablespoon
- fresh lemon basil leaves - small bunch
- salt - to taste