Harissa is a Tunisian chili based sauce, which is not only adds a little heat to your favorite dishes, but also have a bright flavor full of Mediterranean spices. To make your own Harissa at home is very easy, and believe me it tastes so much better than any store bought one. And it’s definitely a good alternative to Sriracha and ketchup. The secret is that I use only fresh peppers, they make the taste more colorful.Harissa is perfect for summer BBQ. It complements almost every dish. Meat, fish, and veggies become so much better with Harissa; I particularly like it with grilled chicken!
P.S. Thanks Jerusalem cookbook for inspiration!
- big red bell peppers - 2
- olive oil or vegetable oil - 2 tablespoon
- caraway seeds - 1 teaspoon
- coriander seeds - 1 teaspoon
- cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
- medium purple onion - 1, finely chopped
- red chili peppers - 4-5, or to taste, seeded and chopped
- tomato paste - 2 tablespoons
- garlic - 5 cloves, minced
- lime juice - 2 tablespoons, or to taste
- salt - to taste