While this spring week seems to be pretty rainy in Palo Alto, that doesn’t mean we can’t have a vivid sunny meals on our plates! This fresh veggie appetizer seems like a perfect option to me. These rolls are roster eggplant slices, with creamy but light filling and slices of fresh ripe tomatoes inside. Since the eggplant is roasted instead of fried, this is a low-calorie, vegetarian dish. What else is good about this appetizer, is that it could be a perfect starter and set the mood for your tastebuds before the main dish, but at the same time it could be a light dinner when you try to eat healthy.
I don’t know which country had created this wonderful dish, but we love it in Ukraine. This time I’ve decided to make it more piquant by adding chopped walnuts and cilantro, but you can actually create your own unique filling with any ingredients you like. Just don’t be shy and express your creativity!
- medium eggplants - 3
- extra-virgin olive oil - 2-3 tablespoons
- salt - to taste
- light cream cheese - 8 oz, room temperature
- raw walnuts - 3 tablespoons + more for garnish, finely chopped
- garlic - 2-3 cloves, minced
- cilantro - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- medium tomatoes - 2, cut into equal bars