In this video Michelin Starred Chef, Tong Chee Hwee of HKK shows us how to make his elegant take on peking duck. This recipe includes his process of how to roast the duck, and chef Tongs hoisin based sauce recipe.
Cherry wood peking duck recipe,
For duck seasoning
Chinese five spices 3
spice ginger powder 2g
chicken powder 3g
liquorice powder 3g
For duck vinegar water
white rice vinegar 150g
Chinese red vinegar 10g
bicarbonate soda powder 1g,
Duck size 2.6kg
bilington organic sugar
red bean curd
1) Clean the duck. Put 50g of the seasoning into the duck, and shake.
2) Use skewers to seal the duck.
3) Put the whole duck in boiling water for 5 seconds.
4) Rinse the duck with the duck vinegar water for 1 minute.
5) Fan dry for 30 minutes, then hang in the fridge for 48 hours.
1) Remove the Duck from the refrigerator and let sit for 30 minutes.
2) Pre-heat oven to 160°C for 10mins, humidly 0°C, fan speed 3, and then hang the duck in the oven for 40 -50 minutes.
To serve, cut a portion from the duck, along with a small square of the skin.
Spread a spoonful of Duck sauce on the plate.
Add a salad mix of pea shoots, shiso leaves, daikon, mizuna herb, garlic chive, borage, & Chinese radish.
Place the duck skin onto the salad and the portion of duck next to it.
Wrap the cucumber, leek, duck sauce, & meat from the duck leg into a warm sesame pancake.
Finally, pour a small amount of organic brown sugar into the middle of the plate.